At The beginning of 20th century the church in kerala the lack of Congregation for women which provide opportunity for the common people for a dedicated life for the care of the orphans. The sad plight of the young women eager to lead a dedicated life and yet denied admission to the existing religious communities in kerala for their lack of sufficient education and inability to provide the required patrimony and the miserable condition of the neglected children and the aged destitute touched our founder Fr. Mathew Kadalikkattil. He spent days and nights in prayer bebore the Lord seeking His Divine Will about them. A divine inspiration that came to him during the prayerful minutes he spent on knees in front of tabernacle one day,marked the beginning of the Sacred Heart Congregation.

Having the sole capital of trust in the divine Providence submitting unconditionally to the will of God , with the Permission of Bishop Mar Mathew Makkil ,Vicar Apostolic of the then Diocese of Changanassery,Rev . Fr. Mathew gave shape to the Sacred Heart Congregation on first January 1911 . Receiving four young women as members in a small House in Nellikkunnel farm in the parish of Pala, he consecrated that small community to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.before long ,a few more joined them from various places. The chosen ten from among them ,Sr. Gertrude Pulickal,Sr. Euprasia Kizhakkel ,Sr. Francisca Vellapaaniyil ,Sr. Philomina Mananickal, Sr. Clara Palathanathupadavil,Sr. Margraet Ozhackal ,Sr. Loisa Kunnel , Sr. Kathreena Athappallil,Sr. Josephina Chettalliyil ,Sr. Mary Agnes pazhayathudippara are the founding members of the Congregation. They accommadated a few destitute women too with them and cared for them.

Two Clarist sisters were assigned to train the candidates for the new community. After eighteen months of training ten of the postulants were given religious habit on Sept. 21, 1918 and two among them were admitted to Religious profession on June 11, 1920. They were entrusted with the administration and formation of the community, thus enabling them to manage the community affairs themselves. The simplicity and poverty of their lives and their loving care and concern towards the destitute, attracted many generous young women to the new community and they came in considerable numbers from different places to join the Congregation, the growth of which continued steadily. The house built for the community proved insufficient as the number grew and the construction of more spacious two storied building started in 1926 but could be completed only in 1929.

The community grew in vigor and number a second house was opened at Punnathura in 1926 and another at Ramapuram in 1929. On June 24, 1931 Bishop James Kalacherry was pleased to grant the sisters their original identity as sisters of the Sacred Heart. He introduced some minor changes in their religious habit and approved the rules provisionally with some modifications. In September 1934 Fr. Mathew submitted an application for due approval by the Holy see. Patiently, prayerfully, hopefully, confidently he waited for the day. On May 23, 1935, Pope Pius XI during an audience granted to Bishop Kalacherry, authorized him to give the final ecclesiastical approval to the Congregation.

A branch convent was established at Mylakompu then in the Archdiocese of Ernakulam and at present in the diocese of Kothamangalam on June 24, 1938. They grew in number in that region which later came under the diocese of Kothamangalam. In 1950 when the diocese of Palai was separated from Changanacherry there were houses in both dioceses. The first Sacred Heart convent was opened at Mariapuram in the diocese of Tellicherry on May 31, 1955 from the diocese of Palai. Later sisters from the three dioceses extended their houses to other dioceses.

In all these years the sisters were following the same constitution. The communities also considered themselves autonomous units in each of the three dioceses. But the call of the second Vatican Council urged the sisters to think of unification. In answer to a petition for union into one family, Rev. Fr. Canisius CMI was appointed by Rome as delegate to unify the three units. By August 15, 1974 the proclamation of unification was made. On March 11, , the congregation was raised to the status of 'Juris Pontificies'.

The Province Under the Pala diocese named as Sacred Heart Province Pala.. The service of the Sacred Heart Sisters havespread not only in Kerala and India but also in foreign countries too .Today The province have 590 Professed sisters and 20 candidates and 50 convents in kerala , 3 houses in Arunachal Pradesh and two housesi n Banglore . 30 sisters are working under Syro Malankara Cathoic Church and 20 Sisters working in Germany.

Our apostolate now covers care of the destitute, health care, education, social service, evangelization, press and publications. They run houses for the aged and the children, training centers for physically handicapped, mentally challenged and insane' rehabilitation centers, hospitals, mobile dispensaries, social service centers for women and other centers of humanitarian activities. In all fields of their activities they try to uphold and display their special charism of the overflowing Compassionate Love of the sacred Heart.